Sunday, February 13, 2011

Green Smoothies-you should try them!!

I bring a green smoothy to work almost everyday. Almost everyone who sees the concoction asks, "What the hell are you drinking?!". When they hear whats in it they turn up their nose and assume its nasty. But it's not! Green smoothies are chock full of nutrients. The benefits are huge. You will have fewer cravings for sugar and carbs, your digestion will become normal which means you will be eliminating toxins, blood sugars will stabilize, and your mood will improve. Thats a lot of work for one drink huh? You can mix and match ingredients until you find ones that fit your taste. My favorites include baby spinach, kale, fuji apple, and banana.
Today I made one with organic baby spring mix ( Organic baby lettuces (red & green romaine, red & green oak leaf, lollo rosa, tango), organic red & green chard, organic mizuna, organic arugula, organic frisée, organic radicchio), an organic gala apple, and a conventionally grown banana.
I first cut the fruit, tossed it in the blender and added about 1 cup of water. Then I tossed in a big handful of the greens, and 3 ice cubes. If you have a good quality blender it will take about 15 seconds. If you have a cheapo blender like I used to have it will take longer and your greens will never completely break down. Thats ok...just chew it a bit lol. The finished product is a really pretty green drink that is very tasty!


A side note: I like to keep my greens in these reusable bags. They keep the produce fresh longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment