Monday, September 12, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash


This is such a fall recipe! I saw it in Family Circle Magazine and thought it sounded different. I bought 2 acorn squash at the farmers market last week, and ground beef was on sale this week so I figured I'd give it a try. I did change the recipe a bit.

Ingredients
2 Medium Acorn Squash, halved and seeds removed
4 slices bacon, diced (I didn't use bacon)
1 medium onion, trimmed and diced
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced (I used a Gala apple)
1 lb ground beef
1/4 c packed dark-brown sugar
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t dried sage (I skipped this also)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 T dry bread crumbs



Directions
1. Heat oven to 350. Place squash cut-side down on a baking dish. Add 2 cups water to dish and bake for 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add onion and apple. Cook an additional 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in ground beef. Cook, breaking meat apart with wooden spoon, 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs.
4. Drain water from baking dish and flip over squash. Spoon meat mixture into squash halves. Return to oven and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Serving Size: 4 servings (1/2 squash each)









So this would be a lot healthier if you used ground turkey rather than beef. Next time I was to use the turkey and stuff a sugar pumpkin instead...how fall-like is that?!

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! Totally trying this. My mom used to make something similar when I was a kid, but no apples or meat in it.

    I'm totally buying stuff for this tomorrow when I go grocery shopping.

    PS) Skip the ground turkey, and go ground chicken (it's way better tasting) and better for you :)

    ReplyDelete