Saturday, October 29, 2011

Harvest Oatmeal

I found this recipe online and it sounded awesome. I had all of the ingredients in my house already, so I invited my sister over for a Saturday morning breakfast. I carved out a medium/large sugar pumpkin. I set the seeds aside to roast later.



Ingredients
2 sugar pumpkins (I only used one and it was the perfect size)
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon baking powder (I skipped this because I didn't have any)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (I used cinnamon apple sauce)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I tripled this!)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups old fashioned oats (I used rolled oats, next time I'll try steel cut)
1 egg
3/4 to 1 cup lowfat milk (depending on how milky you like your oatmeal)
1 granny smith apple (peeled + diced small)
extra brown sugar for sprinkling (I used cinnamon and sugar on top)
extra milk for splashing after it's cooked (optional)






Preheat oven 375 degrees. Start by carefully cutting the top off your pumpkin and cleaning the insides out.
Combine all remaining ingredients (except the sugar for sprinkling and milk for splashing) in a large bowl. Stir well and divide batter evenly between the two pumpkins. (or just pour it all into one if it fits). Sprinkle lightly with brown sugar (or cinnamon and sugar). Place pumpkin(s) on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 mins to an hour or until pumpkin is soft enough to scoop and oatmeal is done. I cooked it for 75 minutes because I only had one large pumpkin. I cooked it with the top off. When you serve it scrape some of the inside of the pumpkin. Makes 4 servings.





This oatmeal was delicious!! It was fun to make, and smelled so good. Next time I'll try it with steel cut oats, I bet it will be even better.

1 comment:

  1. This is too cute!

    Thx for stopping by THH and leaving a comment about the GFCF thing.

    It is easy to slip back into G for convenience, huh? But, commitment to our kids can help us get back on track. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete